119 Insurance Companies That Cover Bariatric Surgery in the United States
Almost all insurance companies in the U.S. (see full list below) have policies that cover bariatric surgery. Whether you have insurance that covers bariatric surgery depends on what type of policy you have:
- Individual/Family or Small Group (through an employer with under 50 employees) – Covered if you are in one of the 23 states that mandate it
- Large Group (through an employer with 50+ employees) – Covered if your employer has chosen to include it in your plan
- Medicare – Covered
- Medicaid – Covered
If your insurance policy covers weight loss surgery, insurance will only pay for it if:
- You have a qualifying body mass index (BMI) of 35+ with health problems or 40+ with no health problems
- You participate in a medically supervised diet program before having the procedure (length of program depends on insurance company – ranges from “not required” to 9 months)
Scroll down for the full bariatric surgery insurance coverage list by U.S. Insurance company.
For more information about plan types and general bariatric surgery insurance qualification requirements, see our Bariatric Surgery Insurance page.
Complete List of Insurance Companies & Bariatric Policies
The table below lists ALL health insurance companies in the United States along with the following:
- Link to bariatric surgery insurance coverage policy: the presence (or lack of) a link to your insurance company’s policy does NOT confirm whether or not you have coverage.
- Link to insurance company contact info: We’ve found your insurance company’s contact info for you so you don’t have to go digging for it.
Ask Your Surgeon for a Free Insurance Check: Most surgeons will contact your insurance company for you for free to confirm your bariatric surgery insurance coverage.
Click here to contact a local surgeon to ask for your free insurance check.
Click the letter that your insurance company’s name begins with or scroll through the table to find your insurance company…
Blue Cross and/or Blue Shield (Louisiana NON-HMO)
HAP (Health Alliance Plan)
New Mexico Health Connections
PacificSource Health Plans
Physicians Health Plan (PHP)
Can’t find your insurance company/plan or have an updated link? .
Find a Top Weight Loss Surgeon
Ask for a free insurance check or cost quote
Attend a free seminar or webinar
Schedule a phone or in-person consultation (both often free)